"Good morning, IT-helpdesk, this is Anne speaking."Sad truth: I've learned early on to not even try and help when people call because of problems with the presentation equipment. Most of these problems I could fix in a minute, but It's usually much faster to call someone on site and sent them to the room in question (even if that will take at least 5 minutes) than to get these callers to calm down long enough to stop babbling and follow instructions. As it is, it takes ages just to convince them to shut the hell up and tell me their name, building and room number. If I'm lucky, they'll tell me the nature of their problem... That's a stretch though.
"Yes, good morning, I'm in room 156 and the computer isn't working. I have to give a presentation and have a lot of people here and it isn't working."
"Sir, what is-"
"It's really urgent and someone should get here right away! I have to give this presentation and it never works! The screen is completely black and I really need you to send someone right now!"
"Sir, I understand it's urgent. Just a moment I need-"
"I have all these people waiting here and I'm already 10 minutes late! It never works! You need to-"
"SIR! What's your name?"
"What does that matter? I need you to send someone here right now! What's taking so lang?"
"Sir, if you could please tell me your name?"
"Oh hell. Incomprehensible murmer. I need you to send someone right away! I'm already 15 minutes late!"
"I understand sir, but I need to ask you some questions before I can send-"
"Nonsense! Just send someone right this minute!"
"Sir, I need to know your name. Could you please repeat that?"
"John Smith, and-"
"Alright. What building are you in?"
"Building A! There's always problems when I have to give a presentation here! And I have all these people waiting and-"
"Alright. And the room was 156, right? I'll-"
"You need to send someone right now! I really can't work like this! I'm already late and-"
"Like I said, I'll send someone your way. Have a nice day."
Life and times (and a lot of idiocy) of an IT-helpdesk employee (slash child and youth psychologist, slash fostercare activist, slash dance addict, slash geek, slash wannabe writer, slash hopeless idealist, slash realist)
Wednesday, 9 October 2013
If you could just shut up for one second...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment